Coronavirus Public Transport Information

#StaySafeSaveLives - Do not use public transport unless you need to

Visit our Coronavirus page for travel information and advice

Check temporary changes to bus, tram and rail services across South Yorkshire   Updated: 5 July 2020 

Senior Pass

With a Senior Pass you are entitled to free off peak travel on buses across England (plus additional concessions in South Yorkshire) through the English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS). 

Do you qualify for a pass?

You must live in South Yorkshire and be of an eligible age, which is equivalent to the female state pensionable age as defined by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). To find out when you are eligible for concessionary travel:

You can apply for your pass online up to 2 weeks in advance of when you qualify.

If you live outside South Yorkshire, you need to apply to the local authority that covers your usual place of residence.

Apply now

Step 1: Set up an account in your name (or log in if you already have an account)

Step 2: Log-in > Select Passes > Concessions > ENCTS Senior Citizen

Step 3: Complete personal details, upload proof documents and photo  

Step 4: Check your order and go to checkout.

Your travel pass could take longer than usual to reach you due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation. Thank you for your support and patience.

You will need the following:

 Read the full application guidance on what documents you need to apply for a pass.

  • A recent passport standard photo - please see the 'Acceptable Photo Guidance' as an unsuitable photo could delay your application.

  • Proof of age (view the full list of documents accepted) such as:

    • Passport identifier – the 28 characters on the bottom line of your passport e.g. 1041211587GBR0205169F1604120
    • or a scanned copy of a document showing proof of age and address e.g. Scanned birth certificate or NHS medical card.

Apply now >> 

Replace your lost or stolen pass 

Visit our page on Senior Renewals to find out what happens when your pass is due to expire.

If you don't have internet access:

If you do not have access to the internet to apply online you can phone us on 01709 515151.

Coronavirus update – postal/drop box pass applications

Our priority is to protect the safety of both our customers and our staff in these uncertain times. In order to be able to maintain a customer contact service our Traveline team will shortly be moving to more remote working, this means we will be unable to receive and process postal or drop box paper application forms for our concessionary passes at this time. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

You can still apply online which we aim to get delivered to you in 11 days, we’ll continue to monitor the situation and provide updates when we can.

When will I receive my pass? 

We aim to dispatch your pass within 11 days of receiving your completed online application.  

If you apply by paper we aim to dispatch your pass within 25 days of receiving your completed application form. 

It will be valid for five years from the date on which the card is produced. Your pass will be posted to your home address which must be within South Yorkshire.

Pass protection

Pass protection can be taken out against Senior Citizen Passes for £5 for the duration of your pass, up to five years. 

This will enable you to replace your old pass free of charge should you lose it during the time in which it is valid. 

Please read the Pass Protection terms and conditions (PDF, 406Kb) before applying.

When can you travel?

The restriction on senior concessionary travel before 9.30am was restored o 8 June to ensure the maximum possible capacity is available for key workers and others who need to travel for work.

You can read more in our News story.

Pass holders can travel between 0930 and 2300 on weekdays and at any time during the weekend and on Bank Holidays:

  • for free on local bus services* and trams within South Yorkshire during the times/days outlined above.

  • for half-fare travel between stations on the South Yorkshire rail network between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at any time at weekends and on Bank Holidays.
    This applies only to South Yorkshire residents. Please note regarding 'half fare': for Northern trains scheduled to depart between 1601 and 1829 on weekdays, the Senior Pass fare is half of the Peak Fare for the journey being made.

In all other parts of England, South Yorkshire passes can be used for free travel on bus services between 0930 and 2300 weekdays and all day weekends and Bank Holidays. *

*Local bus services do not include booked excursions and long distance coach travel such as that provided by National Express or Megabus. They may also exclude some special services such as temporary shuttle bus.

Hospital appointments before 9.30am 

Stagecoach Yorkshire - Travelling to Hospital appointments before 9.30am

ENCTS concessionary travel pass holders can now travel to their Hospital appointments before 9.30am free of charge on Stagecoach buses in South and West Yorkshire and Chesterfield.

Simply show your valid Hospital appointment letter (this must be for the day you are travelling) to your Stagecoach bus driver along with your ENCTS concessionary travel pass any time before 9.30am.

Unfortunately if you do not show your appointment letter before 9.30am you will be charged full fare. 

For more information on this offer visit the Stagecoach website.

Date of birth

This table can help you find out when you are eligible and the earliest date to apply for your pass.

You can apply for your pass online up to 2 weeks in advance of when you qualify.

If you were born before 6 July 1953, you already qualify for a pass.

If you were born later in 1953, you become eligible as follows:

Date of birthDate eligible for a pass
6 July 1953 to 5 August 19536 July 2017
6 August 1953 to 5 September 1953 6 November 2017
6 September 1953 to 5 October 19536 March 2018
6 October 1953 to 5 November 19536 July 2018 
6 November 1953 to 5 December 19536 November 2018 
6 December 1953 to 5 January 19546 March 2019

If you were born in 1954 or after 

Date of birthDate eligible for a pass
6 December 1953 to 5 January 19546 March 2019 
6 January 1954 to 5 February 19546 May 2019 
6 February 1954 to 5 March 1954 6 July 2019 
6 March 1954 to 5 April 19546 September 2019
6 April 1954 to 5 May 19546 November 2019
6 May 1954 to 5 June 19546 January 2020
6 June 1954 to 5 July 19546 March 2020
6 July 1954 to 5 August 19546 May 2020
6 August 1954 to 5 September 1954 6 July 2020
6 September 1954 to 5 October 19546 September 2020
6 October 1954 to 5 November 195466th birthday

More information and conditions of use: