South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
The Travel South Yorkshire website sets cookies.
If you continue to use this website, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website. Find out more about the cookies used on this website.
  • English National Concessionary Travel Scheme – Senior Citizen

    The English National Concession Travel Scheme (ENCTS) entitles senior citizens to free off peak travel on buses across England (plus additional concessions in South Yorkshire).

    When and where to use your passWho qualifies for a pass  How to get your pass Replace a lost or stolen passRenew an expired passFrequently asked questions

    When and where to use your pass

    ENCTS senior pass

    Senior Pass (ENCTS) holders can travel free from 0930 to 2300 on weekdays, all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays:

    • on local bus services* and trams within South Yorkshire
    • The pass is also valid for half-fare travel between stations on the South Yorkshire rail network between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at any time at weekends and on Bank Holidays. This concession applies only to South Yorkshire residents. Please note regarding 'half fare': for Northern Rail trains scheduled to depart between 1601 and 1829 on weekdays, the Senior Pass fare is half of the Peak Fare for the journey being made.
    • in all other parts of England, South Yorkshire passes can be used for free travel on bus services between 0930 and 2300 weekdays and all day weekends and Bank Holidays. *
      *Local bus services do not include booked excursions and long distance coach travel such as that provided by National Express or Megabus. They may also exclude some special services such as temporary shuttle bus.  

    For more details please see the information leaflet (PDF, 169Kb).

    Who qualifies for a pass

    kyi-information content

    To qualify for an ENCTS (Senior Citizen) pass you must live in South Yorkshire and be of an eligible age, which is equivalent to the female state pensionable age as defined by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

    The government has recently changed the qualifying age, so unless you were born before 6 April 1950, you will no longer become eligible on the day you turn 60.  This means that:

    • If you were born before 6 April 1950, you are still eligible for concessionary travel from your 60th birthday.
    • If you were born after 5 April 1950, your precise age of eligibility will depend on your date of birth. 

    Check your eligibility

    To find out when you are eligible for concessionary travel, please use DWP's qualifying age calculator (, or refer to the date of birth table at the bottom of this page.

    If you live outside South Yorkshire, you need to apply to the local authority that covers your usual place of residence.

    How to get your pass

    Apply online with MyTSY

    If your are applying for the first time you can apply online. This is the quickest way to get your pass but you can also apply by post or via a drop-box at any interchange (or mini-interchange).

    What you will need:

    • Proof of age
      • Online: a Passport or Driver’s licence number or scanned in copies of documents such as: your birth certificate, passport, medical card.
      • Drop box or post: you need to include photocopies (not original documents) of documents such as: your birth certificate, passport, medical card.
    • Proof of address
      • Online: you just need to enter a valid South Yorkshire address.
      • Drop box or post: you need to include photocopies (not original documents) of documents such as: your medical card, driving license, gas bill, electricity bill or Council Tax bill.
    • A photograph
      • Online: you can upload a digital jpeg photo,
      • Drop box or post: please include a passport size photo of yourself.

    Photographs should be recent, passport-style, taken against a light, plain background, free from any writing or over-print, full face with eyes open and showing face and shoulders only. You can read the “Acceptable Photo guide” for guidance on suitable photos to use.

    Applying via drop box: You'll need the documents outlined above together with a completed paper application form. Once you have everything in an envelope you can drop your application off at our Customer Service Advisor desk in your local Interchange.

    Once you have applied for your pass and it has been processed by our team it will then be posted to you within seven to ten working days from receipt of application and will be valid for five years from the date on which the card is produced.

    How to replace a lost or stolen pass

    You can replace your lost or stolen pass online, if you do not have access to the internet you can either phone us, or apply via the drop box in the interchange or by post. A replacement pass will cost £7 unless you have taken out pass protection. You will need the following:

    • proof of identity - name and address (e.g. official letter addressed to applicant, medical card, utility bill, etc)
    • £7

    Pass protection can be taken out against Senior Citizen Passes for £5 for five years. This will enable you to replace your old pass free of charge should you lose it during the five years which it is valid.

    Please note: Stolen passes will be replaced free of charge if you have reported the theft to the police and obtained a crime reference number.

    You should receive a replacement pass within 7 working days.

    How to renew an expired pass

    If your pass has expired or is due to expire, you can renew you pass online. You can renew you pass up to two months before the expiry date.

    You can also renew your pass by phoning Traveline on 01709 51 51 51 - the same two month period applies.

    You can apply by post (or by using the drop box in the interchanges) by completing an ENCTS application form with the renewal box ticked. The same two month period applies.
    There is no charge for renewing your senior citizen’s pass.

    Frequently asked questions

    Q. How long will my ENCT pass be valid for?
    A. All newly issued Senior Citizens’ passes will be valid for 5 years from the date you apply or become eligible for the pass (in case you apply before you reach the qualifying age). If you are replacing a lost or stolen pass the expiry date on your new pass will be the same as on the pass you are replacing.

    Q. Do I need to provide a new photograph when replacing my ENCT pass?
    A. No, you do not generally need to provide a photograph to replace your pass. However, if you believe your appearance has significantly changed since you last application, you do need to provide a new photograph or have it taken by a member of staff at a Travel Information Centre. Otherwise, you may be denied free travel on public transport.

    Q. I have applied for my pass today. How long will it be before I receive my pass?
    A. We aim to complete all applications within 7 to 10 working days of receipt of your application.

    Back to top

  • Apply, renew or replace your pass online

About Us | Terms of use | Cookies | Accessibility | Sitemap | © 2015