Who can apply?
You can apply for a 16-18 Pass if you meet all three of the following:
- you are in full-time education* AND
- you are aged 16 or 17 and born between 1 September 1997 and 31 August 1999 AND
- you live in South Yorkshire and your household pays council tax to Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham or Sheffield councils
*if you are studying with a non-school-or-college provider of training and development (Training Agencies) you may qualify for a 16-18 Student Pass if you are engaged in at least twelve hours classroom based education/learning per week.
If you have a 16-18 Student Pass:
- you can travel on any bus or tram in South Yorkshire for 70p per journey.
- you can travel for half price on Northern Rail train services in South Yorkshire.
- you need a 16-18 Student Pass to buy tickets such as the TravelMaster GetAbout ticket which may save you money each week.
When can I apply? - 2015/16 pass
You will be only be able to apply once you have enrolled
at your school/college or Training Agency at the start of the new
2015/16 Academic year and you have been given your unique code.
You can apply from Monday 17 August, once you have been given your unique validation code.
How to apply - 2015/16
It is now even easier to get your Student Pass.
All schools, colleges and Training Agencies are now able to give students a unique validation code which you can use to apply online or via the post/drop box. You will be given your unique validation code and instructions on how to apply online at enrolment.
First time applications:
If you are applying for the first time you can apply online through MyTSY - please note you can only do this once you have received your Unique Validation Code from your school/college/training provider at enrolment.
This is the fastest way to get your pass.
New to MyTSY? - If you haven't already registered for a MyTSY account you will need to create one. Once you have set up the account you need to click on Passes in the top menu and then Concessions. You will then see the option to click on 16-18 Student Pass to apply - applications open from Monday 17 August.
Already got a MyTSY account? - If you already have a MyTSY account then you will need to log-in and click on Passes in the top menu and then Concessions. You will then see
the option to click on 16-18 Student Pass to apply - applications open
from Monday 17 August.
The quickest way to apply for your 16-18 pass is to apply online with a MyTSY account. It usually takes up to 7 working days to process a pass this way if all details are correct.
What you will need to include:
- Home address (must be in South Yorkshire)
- Email or telephone number
- Digital photograph - a passport style image
- your Unique Validation Code (UVC) - given to you at enrolment
- proof of age by means of either:
- a Passport number
- a driver's licence number, or
- a scanned copy of your documentary proof of age and address.
Photographs should be recent, passport-style, taken against a light, plain background, free from any writing or over-print, full face with eyes open, and showing face and shoulders only. Please see the "Acceptable Photo guide" for guidance.
If you are able to provide the proof of age and passport number your 16-18 Student Pass can be processed straight away.
If you are unable to supply a Passport number you can attach a scan of a document of proof of age and address (such as medical card, birth certificate, an official letter, a utility bill - this can be addressed to your parents) your pass will then be processed after the documents are checked and verified.
Apply by post or by using our Interchange drop box
What you will need to include:
- Proof of age - these documents must be PHOTOCOPIES and not the ORIGINAL documents.
- Proof of where you live (e.g. an official letter, a utility bill - this can be addressed to your parents) these documents must be PHOTOCOPIES and not the ORIGINAL documents.
- A recent passport size photograph
- Completed paper application form (PDF) - including your UVC number.
Please note that if you are applying this way you do not need to provide the actual UVC voucher but please make sure you reference the code in your application.
Photographs should be recent, passport-style, taken against a light, plain background, free from any writing or over-print, full face with eyes open, and showing face and shoulders only. Please see the "Acceptable Photo guide.
This way of applying can take up to 21 working days to process.
back to top
Applying for a pass for the second year:
If you're going into your second year at the same college/sixth form you will be issued with a new Unique Validation Code (UVC) which you can use to apply online using a MyTSY account. If you are still of the appropriate eligible age you can then select to order a 16-18 Student Pass.
To order a pass using MyTSY you need to:
- Select the name of your college from the drop-down list, and
- enter your new Unique Validation Code.
How to replace a lost or stolen pass:
- If you originally applied for your student pass through MyTSY you can also order a replacement pass through your account. You will be charged an administration fee (currently £7)to process your replacement application.
- If you didn't use MyTSY to order your pass originally then you can also apply for a replacement card by using the paper application form and posting it to Contact Centre, SYPTE, 11 Broad Street West, SHEFFIELD S1 2BQ or drop it off at our drop box at the Customer Service Desk enclosing a cheque or postal order for the £7 administration fee.
Replacing a pass for this year 2014/15
We're sorry but you can no longer replace a 2014/15 pass as the deadline of 20 July 2015 for replacement applications has now passed.
Q. What is a unique validation code (UVC)?
A unique code which includes a combination of letter and numbers e.g.
ABX15A1B1Q1. Students will be
required to enter their UVC when applying for a 16-18 Student Pass.
Q. Where do I get a unique validation code (UVC) from?
A. Schools, colleges and Training Agencies will provide students with their UVC at the start of the academic year.
Q. When can I apply?
A. You can apply from Monday 17 August, once you have been given your unique validation code.
Q. Why can’t I apply now?
A. You can apply once you have your unique validation code
from your school, college or Training Agency. These have been distributed to schools,
colleges or Training Agencies.
Q. How long is a 16-18 Student Pass valid?
The 16-18 Student Pass is valid for the 2015/16 academic year
(September - July). In your second year you will need to apply again.
Q. What about students who live outside South Yorkshire?
Sorry, these passes are only available to residents of South
Yorkshire. Residents of other areas should speak to their local council
to see if they will provide any help with travel costs. Alternatively
visit www.sytravelmaster.com for details of discounted tickets that don't require residence.
Q. What about students whose college is outside South Yorkshire?
16-18 year old residents in South Yorkshire who are in full time
education are entitled to a pass wherever they study. Their pass will
only be valid in South Yorkshire. They will have to pay a separate fare
from the county boundary.
Q. What about students who don't have access to the Internet?
A. Paper application forms are available from our transport interchanges for students who can't apply online.
Q. What about students with learning disabilities who can't use the internet?
Although ideally everyone would manage their own My TSY account, there
is no reason why a friend or relative shouldn't manage an
account on a student's behalf.
back to top