16-18 Student Pass
The 16-18 Student Pass entitles pass holders to concessionary travel on buses and trams in South Yorkshire. Pass holders are also entitled to half fare on Northern Rail train services in South Yorkshire.
Academic year 2015/16
Apply online | Postal applications | Apply using the drop box
Full ticket information
Who can apply?
You can apply for a 16-18 Pass if you meet all three of the following:
- you are in full-time education* AND
- you are aged 16 or 17 and born between 1 September 1997 and 31 August 1999 AND
- you live in South Yorkshire and your household pays council tax to Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham or Sheffield councils
*if you are studying with a non-school-or-college provider of training and development (Training Agencies) you may qualify for a 16-18 Student Pass if you are engaged in at least twelve hours classroom based education/learning per week.
If you have a 16-18 Student Pass:
- you can travel on any bus or tram in South Yorkshire for 70p per journey.
- you can travel for half price on Northern Rail train services in South Yorkshire.
- you need a 16-18 Student Pass to buy tickets such as the TravelMaster GetAbout ticket which may save you money each week.
How to apply - 2015/16
It is now even easier to get your Student Pass.
All schools, colleges and Training Agencies are now able to give students a unique validation code which you can use to apply online or via the post/drop box. You will be given your unique validation code and instructions on how to apply online at enrolment.
First time applications:
If you are applying for the first time you can apply online.
This is the fastest way to get your pass.
What you will need to include:
- Home address (must be in South Yorkshire)
- Email or telephone number
- Digital photograph - a passport style image
- the name of your school, college or Training Agency and
- your Unique Validation Code (UVC)
- proof of age by means of either:
- a Passport number
- a driver's licence number, or
- a scanned copy of your documentary proof of age and address.
Photographs should be recent, passport-style, taken against a light, plain background, free from any writing or over-print, full face with eyes open, and showing face and shoulders only. Please see the "Acceptable Photo guide" for guidance.
If you are able to provide the proof of age and passport number your 16-18 Student Pass can be processed straight away.
If you are unable to supply a Passport number you can attach a scan of a document of proof of age and address (such as medical card, birth certificate, an official letter, a utility bill - this can be addressed to your parents) your pass will then be processed after the documents are checked and verified.
Apply by post or by using our Interchange drop box
What you will need to include:
- Proof of age - these documents must be PHOTOCOPIES and not the ORIGINAL documents.
- Proof of where you live (e.g. an official letter, a utility bill - this can be addressed to your parents) these documents must be PHOTOCOPIES and not the ORIGINAL documents.
- A recent passport size photograph
- Completed paper application form (PDF) - including your UVC number and the name of your school or college.
Please note that if you are applying this way you do not need to provide the actual UVC voucher but please make sure you reference the code in your application.
Photographs should be recent, passport-style, taken against a light, plain background, free from any writing or over-print, full face with eyes open, and showing face and shoulders only. Please see the "Acceptable Photo guide.
back to top
Applying for a pass for the second year:
If you're going into your second year at the same college/sixth form you will be issued with a new Unique Validation Code (UVC) which you can use in your existing MyTSY account. If you are still of the appropriate eligible age you can then select to order a 16-18 Student Pass.
To order a pass using MyTSY you need to:
- Select the name of your college from the drop-down list, and
- enter your new Unique Validation Code.
How to replace a lost or stolen pass:
- If you originally applied for your student pass through MyTSY you can also order a replacement pass through your account. You will be charged an administration fee (currently £7)to process your replacement application.
- If you didn't use MyTSY to order your pass originally then you can also apply for a replacement card by using the paper application form and posting it to Contact Centre, SYPTE, 11 Broad Street West, SHEFFIELD S1 2BQ or drop it off at our drop box at the Customer Service Desk enclosing a cheque or postal order for the £7 administration fee.
Replacing a pass for this year 2014/15
If you want to replace a 2014/15 pass please use one of the ways above to order a replacement pass but please note that we will only process applications received by 20 July 2015.
back to top
PDF files require Adobe Acrobat reader. Download the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader here.